Ham & Cheese Croissants

Sunday, February 19, 2012



"We're selling ham and cheese croissants now!"

Janaki interrupted our conversation. I think she might have said some other stuff after, but frankly, my mind and grumbling stomach were fixated on the idea of Marché's latest offering.

"Is there any of them left?" I asked politely.

She said that it was doubtful, but we could go and check, and she was right, they sold out. At this point I could feel my heart start to crumble and my belly flush with an acute melancholy.

"That's okay. I can make you one. I have everything I need".  

I wondered if the sadness written across my face had anything to do with her kindness, but knowing Janaki, she probably didn't even notice. I'm a hard-to-read man, and she always treats her friends and colleagues with the utmost care and sincerity.

She cut into an large brick of aged cheddar, followed by ham. She sliced the croissant in half, layered one side with a healthy spread of artisanal mustard, placed the ham and cheese on top, then toasted it all up.

She returned, a few minutes later, with one of the most decadent treats I've ever had the pleasure of tasting from their kitchen. Lost in my hunger, I forgot to take a picture, but secretly, although I didn't know it at the time, it might have been my way of ensuring that she would make another one with the chance that it could also be mine.

I left Marché's grounds with another croissant in hand. Even after working with Marché for six months, I can still come across moments that enchant and surprise.

Thank you, Janaki.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm

Julie said...

I think the words "utmost care and sincerity" perfectly sum up the feeling I get each time I visit this little jewel of a shop. I adore the place.

Unknown said...

Sex shop ve erotik shop sektöründe faaliyet gösteren firmamızda bütün iç giyim ürünlerini bulabilir ve kapıda ödeme seçeneği ile teslim alırken ödemesini yapabilirsiniz.Gizlilik temel prensibimizdir kargolarımız kapalı kutularda kozmetik ürün olarak taşınır paketlerin üzerinde Erotik Shop ve Sex Shop ibareleri ile iç giyim reklamları bulunmaz

Post a Comment